Pane Bianco Bread with Garlic, Basil and Sun-dried Tomatoes
I was bored and wanted some excitement! Burning a hole in my pocket was definitely NOT a good option at that moment.Hence, I settled down to try and bake something complicated . My search came to an end when I tumbled upon the Italian Pane Bianco bread. The swirly shaped bread with a filling of garlic , sun-dried tomatoes and basil leaves absolutely captivated me ! Since my basil plant had a few leaves to spare me and I had a bottle of homemade sun-dried tomatoes tucked away safely in my fridge, I gleefully opted to kill my boredom by attempting this complicated bread. As I went about the procedure I was truly amazed at how really simple it is! (Pictures can indeed be very deceiving!)
Here’s the recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour website.
‘Tomato, Basil &Garlic filled Pane Bianco Bread.’
The flavor of garlic,basil and the sundried tomatoes on each slice of bread was awesome! I had it with a bowl of Tomato Soup. Absolutely yummylicious !!! J
Pane Bianco Bread with Garlic Basil and Sundried Tomatoes
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1/8th cup sugar or 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- ½ cup warm low-fat milk
- 1Table spoon &1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoon oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup shredded cheese (I used Cheddar cheese)
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Warm water and add the yeast and sugar.Let it stand for about 5 – 10 mins till it becomes frothy. Add this to the other ingredients like flour, oil, warm milk and salt. Also add the beaten egg.
- Knead to a soft dough.
- If you're kneading in a stand mixer, it should take 5 to 7 minutes at second speed. The dough should clean the sides of the bowl, perhaps sticking a bit at the bottom.Take out the dough.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, and turn to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- What I did…I dumped all the ingredients into my Bread Machine and set it to ‘dough” It took about 1 hr & 20 mins for the dough to rise so very beautifully.
- Meanwhile, drain the sun-dried tomatoes, lay them on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Finely chop the tomatoes and basil leaves.
- Next, gently deflate the risen dough and put it on a table top. .
- Roll into a 22" x 8 1/2" rectangle.