Friday, June 1, 2012

A Full Circle

This has been written for ...

                  A Writer Weaves a Tale, Sandra's Writing Workshop Hop  

  Our prompt: Write in the close first person point of view.

 A Full Circle

I close my weary eyes in prayer. My tired mind wanders, travelling through the rough and winding paths of my life and dwells on a pretty face, with unpretentious dimpled laughter, twinkling eyes, smooth flawless skin and dark curly tresses falling about her shoulders. She literally breezed into our lives.

   My twin girls, just out of their teens and I were on the beach. What a perfect day it was! The blue sky, the sparkling sea, the salty wind blowing against our faces , our hair tossed about and our sun kissed bodies sprinkled with sand !We teased each other, joked and laughed uncontrollably for no reason at all. I paused to think, ‘Life is good to a single parent like me. My adorable girls fill my life with so much happiness’. Suddenly, a gentle gust of breeze hurled a hat at us and I looked up to see a slim figure, about my age, coming towards us to claim her hat. ‘Hi, I’m Anna’ she said. ‘Please, can I join you? I’m all alone. I’ve been watching you all have an awesome time together’. She went on to add that being an orphan, she had no family, never married nor had kids. Anna was fun and the girls took to her.

   When we returned back home, Anna started coming over very often, showering the girls with expensive clothes and accessories as gifts- a sure way to young girls hearts! Next, on the pretext of teaching them facial make up tricks, Anna started spending time in the room which the twins shared. Gradually I noticed a change in my children. Suddenly it seemed that whatever I did was wrong, my past actions were dug up and criticized. I was responsible for everything that went wrong in the house or with them! I was hurt. Explanations did not matter. I was wrong and that was that! Anna, even encouraged them not to tell me about the boys they were dating as I would be sizing them up! I decided enough was enough and forbade her from entering our house. My daughters looked at me as if I was an evil stepmother. They went back to their rooms, packed up their bags and moved out of the house! I caught a glimpse of Anna’s triumphant look, and it hit me, ‘Oh my god! She’s sick. It’s been her diabolical plan to isolate me and my girls. She’s jealous.’ I wondered how many families she had broken up!

I sat there stunned, trying hard to soak in the harsh reality. Everything seemed so irrational and illogical. I was not even invited for my children’s weddings .I was shattered and crushed .The beautiful weddings I had planned for my children had gone to the wind!

Helpless, distressed and defeated, I turned to God for refuge. I cried and prayed incessantly. I clung on to His hands, clutched the hem of His garments tightly, begging Him not to let go of me. My prayers went unanswered. Why? I heard a voice inside me saying, ‘You would never question if you had faith and trust’. Yes, He wanted me to be stronger and wiser with absolute trust and faith in Him! And slowly but surely, I was molded to be what I was meant to be!

Time flew, now my limbs are weak, my body frail and I am extra exhausted today. As I sit sipping my tea, I hear a car pull up on the porch. I continue to sit, feeling weak to get up. The door bursts open and my children with their kids enter, holding orchid potted plants in their hands for me. Somehow, I’m not surprised. It seems natural. It appears like I am expecting them! They rush to me and hug me saying, “Mom, every day we see you in us as we bring up our children. Everything we do for our kids, reminds us of all the things you have done for us. Thank you for loving us .We now understand your unconditional love and protective care. We are grateful for your prayers.’ They cried and continued,’ ‘Last night we had a bad dream. Please mom, never leave us. We want to make up to you, mom. We love you so, mom.’

 I hug my children, my heart rejoicing. I feel like jumping up in sheer joy! I send a silent prayer to God, ‘Lord, I can never be happier, I am ready.’ God answers my prayer and I feel myself peacefully and happily slipping away into oblivion, held lovingly in my children’s arms. Didn’t I hold them so when they entered this world? Now I’m leaving in their arms! A blessing indeed, denied to many.
Pin It now!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great story...someone turning your kids against you! As a mother, that seems like a nightmare, but it had a happy ending!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you..this is my first attempt at story writing:)

      Delete
  2. Very interesting turn at the end. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.Glad you thought it was 'Nicely done'.Thanks:)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! My heart was pounding and sadden even a bit of anger when I read, "I caught a glimpse of Anna’s triumphant look, and it hit me, ‘Oh my god! She’s sick. It’s been her diabolical plan to isolate me and my girls. She’s jealous.’ I wondered how many families she had broken up!"

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
speedbloggertemplate.co.cc. Powered by Blogger.com